Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Italian Austrian Schnitzel

So some of you may know that I'm doing a half marathon walk in October for Cancer Research.  Have I not banged on about this enough yet?  Thought not.  I'M DOING A HALF MARATHON.  I know. Not my usual thing to do but I must say I'm enjoying the training so far.  I'm doing the walk and the training with 2 girls from the office: Miss R and Miss D - well to be precise they are doing the full marathon and I'm just doing the half. But, you know, they are slim and fit and I'm er, not. But hopefully I will be slimmer and fitter by the time I get around to doing this walk. 

So tonight we set off from the office and had a good old chinwag about life, death, love, the best cleansing wipes on the market and the importance of changing shampoo regularly.  You know, the important stuff.  By the time we were on mile 4 we were getting really hungry and the subject of food was on our minds.  I heard all about how in Miss D's family home they have homemade Indian food every night and all about the curries her mum cooks.  Mother of god it sounded good.  So I started thinking how I could spice up the supper I had planned for Mr Rose and I.

I decided to shake up our chicken schnitzel.  When I first met Mr Rose he introduced me to homemade schnitzel - it is an Austrian dish he was brought up with and still very much one of his favourite comfort food dinners.  But he is out running the government (someone has to) so tonight I took charge and made Italian Austrian Schnitzel.  I reckon it will catch on soon, with such a snappy name.



So.  First of all beat an egg in a bowl.  Pop into your food processor 1 slice of bread, handful of basil leaves and large chunk of parmesan.  Whizz up as if your life depended on it.
Slice your chicken breasts in 2 right down the middle and get your meat basher out.  Now for the fun bit. Flatten those chicken norks as if they were the skull of your mortal enemy, as every Austrian knows your schnitzel is at its best when it is think and crispy.
Dunk the meat into the egg, then into the breadcrumb mix - then put it straight into a hot frying pan with melted butter bubbling away in it.   Cook slowly till golden brown on both sides and chicken is cooked through.  The parmesan starts to bubble away and smells DELISH.
I had mine with avacado, basil, cherry tomato and cucumber salad and dollop of creme fraiche.  Mr Rose, if he ever makes it home from running the country, will be having all of that but with sweet potato chips - cos he doesn't need to cut these out as his bottom is not the size of China unlike SOME people round here.  Ahem.



So whaddya reckon?  Am I going to make a career as a glorious food writer?  Somehow I think not, but it was a bloody good sups.

Food tastes SO much better on a day when one has walked 8 miles.  I think this whole exercise thing will catch on and soon you'll all be doing it. 

Rose x




No comments:

Post a Comment